Thursday 12 November 2015

The place where we live

Why does an Environmental Science student study History? Why, even, does an Environmental Science student study Environmental Science?

For me it started in childhood. Trees were magical, and animals seemed more interesting than people (still waiting to grow out of this). As time went by I became aware that some parts of the world were way more industrialised and artificial than where I lived, and I came to value the natural ‘scenery’ around me more and more. But more and more I saw the pollution and damage in my own back yard. It was hard to believe this was happening in such a young country, with such a unique and precious biota, when the lessons of the wider world’s treatment of its natural environment were already so clear.

So naturally I did science throughout my school years. Not! Science was so boring, I couldn’t stand it. Equations, dissections, Bunsen burners. My high school was staffed by teachers who, looking back, were probably wildly expert in their fields, but had no teaching skills at all. And sadly none of them bothered to explain to me that the things I was really interested in were, actually, best understood through science, and that my own curiosity about the natural world was the spirit of scientific enquiry. Mind you I wagged school so much who knows what they said.

By my 20s I was working as a screen printer, horrified at what my workmates thought it was okay to pour down the drains, or throw into landfill. Turps, ink waste, thinners, caustic soda. Where was it going? From drain to stream, and out to sea. Into the soil, and into the water table. Was I the only one worried about this? (Short answer: yes.)

I did what I could in my own workplace, but how could I make a significant difference? It was clear to me that there would be no traction if I was perceived as a hippie. So I decided to get qualified, as a Proper Scientist. Hard science: chemistry, physics, statistics. Measurable, quantifiable, testable facts. That way lies credibility.

As time goes by though, I find I’ve changed my mind. I believe my emotional, visceral reaction to environmental damage is more authentic and compelling than my scientific credentials. Because if scientists don’t care, what’s the point of science? And if scientists can’t communicate, what’s the point of them caring? (Hello, 119.155!)

Because I care, I volunteer at Zealandia Ecosanctuary, here in Wellington, feeding the kaka.



As for my History minor, history is the story of the environment. It’s the story of how people have used, valued and fought over land and natural resources. It’s the story of change, and of damage – environmental and cultural; the story of greed, power and control.  And it’s the story of Aotearoa New Zealand: migration, kaitiakitanga, colonisation, and conflict.


So when people ask me why I study these issues I wonder, why don’t you? Because this is our world - this is where we live.

3 comments:

  1. Liz - your explanation of what you are doing and why makes perfect sense. I understand where you have come from and where you are wanting to go.

    I completely empathise with your high school experiences. Mine were very similar. It is so much more exciting what high school students do today (I have a year 9 daughter) and so many more opportunities, options and ideas than what we had. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz - I have a History minor as well and like you, see this going hand in hand with our study of the environment. My appreciation for both fields have only been supported by studying them alongside one another.

    I'm so interested in hearing your comments about your secondary school science experience - as a teacher it makes me sad to think that genuine interest and curiosity is not fostered because of a teacher's lack of skill, enthusiasm or sadly, curriculum restraints. I hope that the (slightly more) progressive New Zealand education system is moving in the direction where students have more choice and freedom to explore the areas that interest them most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz,

    I really like how you’ve been influenced by the environment around you and it’s shaped your interests and direction in life. I understand your thought process about needing the scientific backing to add strength and weight to your beliefs.

    How fantastic it must be to work in a place like Zealandia sanctuary and be part of an organisation that is doing its bit to help endangered New Zealand animals such as the Kaka.

    ReplyDelete